Matching players with servers by location

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Primetime

Matching players with servers by location

Post by Primetime »

I dont know if that has been discussed, but could we introduce a system that would help to assign EU players to the EU server and NA players to the NA server? For example have you location in your TS name in brackets "[HI9] Primtime (EU)". It does not quarantee that people will be assigned to the closest server, but should help a little. Knowing what my ping to NA is, it would not make much sense for me to play on NA server. This Sunday I was lucky to play on the EU server, but my squad mates were from US and they said they lagged bad.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Re: Matching players with servers by location

Post by sushi »

It has been discussed and GC did decide against it inthe past since it is against our basic idea of playing all together. Brummie is much better than I explaining this. Lag is the price we pay.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

To be honest, I experienced no lag while we played the last half on the EU server. I'm all the way over on the West Coast too. There was no rubber banding or anything.

I think it works fine and it's really quite pleasant to be able to play with people all over the world.
Image[/url]
BYN124

Post by BYN124 »

NA server had BAD lag yesterday! But I think this really was a server quality issue. It just couldnt handle 60+ players simultaneously. I've heard that next week were playing on a new server, so lets hope this one can handle it ;)
Pon_Raul

Post by Pon_Raul »

I was in the EU server last two matches. I live on the East Coast, and it wasn't bad. Hitboxes were kind of funny, but still playable.

As far as separating player based on locale, I have to say that I do like playing with people from all over. I can't say I always understand them :lol: but I prefer everyone being able to play with everyone.
alvaeo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by alvaeo »

Primetime wrote:I dont know if that has been discussed, but could we introduce a system that would help to assign EU players to the EU server and NA players to the NA server? For example have you location in your TS name in brackets "[HI9] Primtime (EU)". It does not quarantee that people will be assigned to the closest server, but should help a little. Knowing what my ping to NA is, it would not make much sense for me to play on NA server. This Sunday I was lucky to play on the EU server, but my squad mates were from US and they said they lagged bad.
I would like to favor this request and include a possible a re-evaluation of the suggestion (now that GC has an income of 3-400+ troops). I only say this because, (as it could be on my side but rarely do i experience anything this bad), the EU server on second half I was rubber banding, stuttering, and lagging uncontrollably; on teamspeak and ingame. It may be because teamspeak was open and i've never played using teamspeak before, i doubt that, though I was able to play in the US server just fine (of course, i live in upstate, NY). It was so bad that i was having trouble taking orders from FC and relaying it to my squad, i was forced to basically squad chat the commands (which worked, i mean we won in the end but regardless, having a new squad leader take my position during the second half would have been way more logical choice).

NA server #2 plays just fine on my side btw.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

GC is a multi-national community, this is one of our greatest strengths. I, as well as the majority of the veterans here, think it is important that people from around the world play together as one. We have had issues in the past when we tried to segregate the membership by location with the EU and NA membership coming to odds with one another.

With out trying to sound like I'm shutting down this discussion...GC will remain a global community.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Expurgate

Post by Expurgate »

I personally have no issues playing on either server, but perhaps we could establish some sort of system for people to easily express their preference for a server, if they want to? I happen to have good pings to EU and NA, but for others who don't have fast internet or a convenient location, there can be a huge difference in gameplay quality between servers.

Otherwise, clear communication about which directorate is playing where remains a must. We should try to announce all those kinds of details in a high-profile way at least a day before the match, since there are likely to be members who will play on one server, but will not show up if the match is on the other.
Zaitsev Jr.

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

Expurgate wrote: ... since there are likely to be members who will play on one server, but will not show up if the match is on the other.
Following Shrap's explanation ...
"GC is a multi-national community, this is one of our greatest strengths." k:good:

,catering to national preferences would only encourage this type of selfish engagement. :idea:
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image
bigdcowboys22
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by bigdcowboys22 »

Zaitsev Jr. wrote:Following Shrap's explanation ...
"GC is a multi-national community, this is one of our greatest strengths." k:good:

,catering to national preferences would only encourage this type of selfish engagement. :idea:

I agree. I enjoy hearing you crazy foreign bastards with your ridiculous accents. Especially when I can't understand you :mrgreen:

If people would rather sit out than play on one server or the other k:pardon: So long as they understand they're choosing to sit and there's no guarantee when they are going to get back on.
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.

Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve.
alvaeo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by alvaeo »

bigdcowboys22 wrote:
Zaitsev Jr. wrote:Following Shrap's explanation ...

I agree. I enjoy hearing you crazy foreign bastards with your ridiculous accents. Especially when I can't understand you :mrgreen:
Actually, i like that idea, i change my position.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I agree, I normally only play on EU servers and it was kinda refreshing to have a broader spectrum of people to play with. I think the new NA server is working pretty well too.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

As others have said one thing we really pride ourselves on is being global. It's one of our greatest strengths and there will be great resistance to any segregation or prioritisation of EU on EU servers and NA on NA servers.
stapum

Post by stapum »

Love all the global stuff. Just saying here that I'm EU and playing in NA server lagged a lot. Someone has pointed that it's a server issue, OK, If that was the case no problem. But, if it is going to be like this every saturday I will only play on EU server cause in NA it's kinda impossible with all that warping and stuttering.

BTW, it was a great battle :twisted:
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

I played on the EU server a few times. Seemed fine to me.

I don't think I'll go back though.... I got teh rapez :(