Metro is soul crushing

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Metro is soul crushing

Post by Kismet »

In my humble opinion, Metro Conquest with over about 40 people is a pointless exercise in mass death. The underground side has basically 0% chance of getting upstairs, and the same for upstairs getting down. With fewer people, this isn't nearly so difficult, and the map can be quite fun. With over about 40-46 there is just too much massed firepower to get through the choke point. I'm sure there are thrilling matches for some under these circumstances where someone manages to pull a squad or two through the chokepoint and take the day, but this is extremely rare.

I'm not familiar with the scripting options out there, but if it's possible, I think it would be good to adjust the map rotation script to remove this map option when there's over a certain threshold number of players on the server. Failing that, maybe more extreme measures? ;)

What do the rest of you think?

-Kismet
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: Metro is soul crushing

Post by Ash2Dust »

Metro is the crappiest map that gets the most joiners. Something about it makes it the most played map. There are times I love Metro and other times it wears the pure trash label.

I hear you on the part where Metro plays different on numbers. From what I've seen, it can be 16 players or 64 and a squad decides to make it their mission to take a back flag. Hard part is the rest of the team doesnt help. I've played enough Metro to know that a full 64 player server is far from 0% chance to break thru. I do prefer the no explosives or FF on version of Metro.

One aspect is we've been trying to push the NA#2 server to its limit, different maps act different with each DICE patch.

Another aspect is we can re-adjust and push for keeping 2 servers populated. This will allow people popping in for just a round two choices to pick from.

Overall we have 13 maps total to play. From what I'm hearing on TS, there is more and more demand for GC fairplay rules to be applied to the pub servers. Raping of air camping air and uncapable main as only spawn.

I havent made any procon scripts, but any made could be tested on the GC server and in the end just likes mods, no matter the outcome, something good will come out of it.

This thread is open to GC pub play and Metro only with specific numbers. Post away.
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

I like the 2 NA servers idea. I quit NA #2 as Metro was voted in and joined NA #1 to find 2 guys with 'xX{NAMEHERE}Xx' who immediately told me "no killing" - they were there for points.

It does seem the new NA2 server performs better than the NA1. Good thinking by Brummie(?) to test a new server rental business, NFO looks to be a winner.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Kismet wrote:I like the 2 NA servers idea. I quit NA #2 as Metro was voted in and joined NA #1 to find 2 guys with 'xX{NAMEHERE}Xx' who immediately told me "no killing" - they were there for points.

It does seem the new NA2 server performs better than the NA1. Good thinking by Brummie(?) to test a new server rental business, NFO looks to be a winner.
Best news I've heard yet all night, I think the NFO NA#2 server is better than the MP NA server, but thats subjective and the weird spikes are unpredictable. Unfortunately I'm dreading the next battle day on either server from past experience and the recent lag issues.

PM Madcow and see if a limited admin is open for the MP NA server.
XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by XrunawayX »

Kismet wrote:I like the 2 NA servers idea. I quit NA #2 as Metro was voted in and joined NA #1 to find 2 guys with 'xX{NAMEHERE}Xx' who immediately told me "no killing" - they were there for points.
For the record this wasn't me!!
Evil_Jocey
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Evil_Jocey »

Kismet wrote:I like the 2 NA servers idea. I quit NA #2 as Metro was voted in and joined NA #1 to find 2 guys with 'xX{NAMEHERE}Xx' who immediately told me "no killing" - they were there for the points.

Stats padding on our server. Nice. :)
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

In my humble opinion, Metro Conquest with over about 40 people is a pointless exercise in mass death. The underground side has basically 0% chance of getting upstairs, and the same for upstairs getting down. With fewer people, this isn't nearly so difficult, and the map can be quite fun. With over about 40-46 there is just too much massed firepower to get through the choke point. I'm sure there are thrilling matches for some under these circumstances where someone manages to pull a squad or two through the chokepoint and take the day, but this is extremely rare.
I agree with you but sometimes it can be fun cause there are always people to kill which can be a problem in the large maps sometimes. Also it is awesome to join a 1000+ ticket server 24/7 metro conquest and just kill as many people as you can to level your guns or classes. so thats how i feel bout it hooah!
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

Also it is awesome to join a 1000+ ticket server 24/7 metro conquest and just kill as many people as you can to level your guns or classes. so thats how i feel bout it hooah!
then you maybe like to try this:
[p0mp] Full Metal Madness 35k tickets | 8h idle | No exploits
will be long enough to level a gun
imagine to be camped in for about 14 houurs :roll:

2c: metro will be intresting if B flag radius is bigger. so it stays neutral with US downstairs. if both armys have the same skill it'll end with russia capping B and US cant move up long enough to capp it.
you have to use a lot of supression fire and cross fire to move up and all do the push, don`t count how ofte you'll die and at GC we only can spawm on SL thats not easy if you need to keep presure.
will be nice to see it played at GC without explosives :twisted:
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

then you maybe like to try this:
[p0mp] Full Metal Madness 35k tickets | 8h idle | No exploits
will be long enough to level a gun
imagine to be camped in for about 14 houurs :roll:
Hahahaha i only do it once upon a time but i'll try that one
not be camping tho not my stile
And there are no vehicles in this map so I can only play it for about 1 hour and then
i'll be bored to death. 8O
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Teams may be equal in skill, but it another factor is the ability for a team to punch thru rather than sit back and lob bullets in. On battledays, FF is on, Explosives have to be used with more care.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

How did the metro battles turn out in the last campaign? I'd be interested to know what happened when the two armies were more concerned about winning, than just indiscriminately throwing grenades down a stairwell!
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

calloutman wrote:How did the metro battles turn out in the last campaign? I'd be interested to know what happened when the two armies were more concerned about winning, than just indiscriminately throwing grenades down a stairwell!
Same as always: but armies got stuck at B :P