Advanced ECM Tutorial for Heli Pilots

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

ICallIDTheft

Re: Advanced ECM Tutorial for Heli Pilots

Post by ICallIDTheft »

You can use ECM either to block locks or to dodge an incoming missile and you can make use of it more often. Complication is not a bad thing if mastering it allows you to do more.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

Thanks guys. I wanted this video to focus on the theory behind the missiles and ECM instead of raw tactics, but it sounds like people want a part 2.

I forgot to give a shout-out to Sloth for volunteering to shoot heat seekers at me and Fields for directing me to the song I used for the video, so give them a pat on the back next time you see them!
Necromancer wrote:Stingers seem to work "below radar" as well, and they always seem to hit.
Also - whats the better tactic? deploy ECM just before the missiles hit, or before being locked on?
Stingers & Iglas are able to lock on to air vehicles that fly "below radar". As for the second sentence, it depends. If you're operating around CITVs and SOFLAMs it's smart to ECM prematurely, likewise if you're facing jets w/ heat seekers. But in most other cases, I would simply wait because it allows you to determine where the missile is coming from via the mini-map.
BlooDRaptoR1

Post by BlooDRaptoR1 »

Good thing now expandas is not an enemy airforce standar member now :p
C4 -Image
C5 - Image
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

dan1mall wrote:
Necromancer wrote:Stingers seem to work "below radar" as well, and they always seem to hit.
Also - whats the better tactic? deploy ECM just before the missiles hit, or before being locked on?
Below radar only applies to air vehicles. A chopper wont be able to lock an enemy chopper below radar, but any nearby stingers on the ground will be able to.

And using ECM before vs using ECM after is debateable. If you use ECM after the missile is fired, then if you move theres a fairly large chance the missile is going to hit regardless, unless you are flying low near the ground/past buildings. If you use ECM before the missile gets fired then it sometimes will bug and you wont be able to stop the firing of the missile at all.

Both have their pro's and con's. If you're hovering a while away just hovering still, then using ECM after is almost always better. If you're on the move then you'll have to think about your position, movement, speed, and distance to the missile source.
good so put that in a vid too.
nice work panda, but the real problem for most today is stingers.
ICallIDTheft

Post by ICallIDTheft »

The method for dodging stingers or heatseekers is basically the same. You just have to ensure that ECM is active when the missile reaches you. Whether you avoid the missile by making it hit the ground or by hovering in the middle of it's circle radius is up to you.
CorranHorn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CorranHorn »

Great work SLOTH!!

lol, really good vid Pandas, really good selection of song.