Fine tuning the BF4 vs BF3 poll

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Which option best describes your thoughts for C6 if we were to use both versions of battlefield

Poll ended at Sat May 23, 2015 1:16 am

A) I would be up to playing both bf3 and bf4 (if it can be done)
23%
B) I would play either, but lean more towards bf3
18%
C) I would play either, but lean more towards bf4
28%
D) I would only play bf3
16%
E) I would only play bf4 even though I own bf3
14%
F) I would only play bf4 because I don't own bf3
2%

Total votes: 57

Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Fine tuning the BF4 vs BF3 poll

Post by CognitoCon »

So did anyone figure out if we can actually change the draft setup?
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

CognitoCon wrote:So did anyone figure out if we can actually change the draft setup?
Do you mean to have ABC ask the above question when signing up for the draft so as to sort them?

Doing another google questionare might be the easiest way to go. Only really need to know who is willing to play only one version of the game and draft them separately like the Air Force.
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

Perhaps we should discuss what the results of this poll will mean. Currently, I don't see any result that would lead us to the conclusion that we should simply play one game or the other. The only way I could see that happening is if one of the "I only want to play game x" options was winning by a landslide. Obviously the poll isn't concluded yet, but it seems that having a dual game campaign would be the most effective method for gathering the most amount of players, at least within this community at present.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Just for clarification on the server issues (please correct me if any of this is wrong Ghoul).

Ghoul reached out to NFO about being able to switch between BF3 and BF4 servers. Essentially, we can switch the servers to BF3 and go back before the end of the billing cycle, but it is not a quick implementation and if we ask to switch too often they will charge a fee. We can not switch back and forth on the same server during the battle day.

So the option that makes the most sense for a split campaign is to have one of our servers run BF4 and the other BF3 (should we do a split campaign). This brings a host of issues including battle delays (everyone must disconnect and reconnect in a different game if the game changes on the map selections), unbalanced pings to servers (we may end up playing more on one server or the other based on which maps are selected so either NA or EU may suffer), if we tell HCs to base their picks on the NA/EU server shift at break then only one game will be played during each time slot which may be unfair to a player who can only play at a certain time but wants to play the other game.

There are other issues as well (e.g. gun glitch) but I'm just focusing on the game server one here. Wanted to let everyone know that we have reached out to our server providers and what their response was.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

I think the most reasonable option is to play one game for the first half of the battleday and the other game for the second half. The game that is on the EU server would be played until that game's maps are finished, and then we switch to the NA server with the other game for that game's maps. If we plan on swapping which game server is located in which region, then we could switch the order of the games played so that the EU server is still played first. If it is possible to have a switch like this happen once every two weeks, like I believe ghoul said earlier (correct me if I'm wrong), then I think we can make this work.