Domination V1.01 beta (server side mod)

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

gribble

Domination V1.01 beta (server side mod)

Post by gribble »

http://domination.totalbf2.com/

What is Battlefield: Domination?

Domination is a new gameplay mode for Battlefield 2. Its aim is to enhance the Battlefield experience by focusing battles to certain areas and eliminating the repetitive "flag hopping" methods that we see in many games.

In traditional conquest mode, players are often forced to capture as many flags as possible to gain a "points advantage" over the opposition. Particularly on large maps, players often spend more time travelling than fighting.

Domination uses a different method by linking up flags to one another to form dynamic frontlines. This increases battlefield immersion, and players are generally always in the action, even on defense.

Is this a Supply Lines Mode?

Not entirely. Although Dice have not released a mode other than conquest, previous versions of "supply lines" or "push" modes have generally been linear in nature. In other words, teams can only capture one flag at a time and therefore only fight between two flags. Although this can still happen in Domination, its structure allows flag captures to behave very differently. For example, certain capture points may attack or be attacked from a multitude of other points. Others may only be able to attack single points. It's entirely up to the map designer, or even the server administrator, to choose how maps are played.

Take a look at the currently released maps to see some examples of how maps can be designed. Those of you who are familiar with the boardgame "Risk" would appreciate the way this mode can be played.

Features

With the above considerations in mind, some of the great advantages of Domination include:

* Non-linear, structured control points allow diversity in gameplay
* Natural choke points and key areas that change dynamically throughout the game
* Defense plays a key part in victory - no more flag hopping
* Tactics are vital - Do you try to take over the whole map, or do you risk spreading your forces too thin?
* 100% Server side - no need for clients to download anything
* Entirely configurable - each control point can be assigned up to 3 flag "groups", which can be changed within the server files very easily
* Compatible with any other map designed with the soon-to-be-released BF2 editor[/b]
syL

Post by syL »

Sounds pretty much like UT04 Onslaught, which was pure genious in terms of focusing battles on certain areas.
Dedicated to the Steelworkers of America. Keep reaching for that rainbow!
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

syL wrote:...was pure genious in terms of focusing battles on certain areas.
and will be pure lag (for mid end systems) with 64 players in this area...
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Yeah, theoretically it sounds like if it's only server-side, it could me mucho lag...but the idea itself sounds cool.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
syL

Post by syL »

The lag would have nothing to do with server side or client side. The only reason it would lag more is because you suddenly might have 64 people at one flag, but really, it's like that on some of the city maps as well (karkand e.g.) where both teams meet at a single chokepoint, and it hasn't caused much problems, at least for me.

Besides, depending on the map layout, you'd normally still have more than one flag to attack, so the armies do spread out a bit, at least that's the way it works in onslaught.
Dedicated to the Steelworkers of America. Keep reaching for that rainbow!
EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

nice!! I waiting for such a mod coming (kinda UT-type) I like to play on a frontline, so lets test it out 8)
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

another goody is you can't take a base flag as first one 8)
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

It can't hurt, it might make some things EA screwed up, unsuckified.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

The feature list more aptly describes the current conquest mode imo.

I would like to try it but I think it will limit tactics and increase spawn camping. I like the sandbox nature of bf2. The game is what you make of it.

There is only flag chasing if you chase flags.