[Star Citizen] - Spaceships in space est. 2012.

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: [Star Citizen] - Arena Commander and Hangar Patch Releas

Post by matsif »

new TFTC that I once again have no time to watch
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I got this
-Arena Commander slightly immersion breaking (as there's no FTL in the universe, so you'd think you have to be within proximity of another player to engage in Arena mode, but it probably wont work like that, just pm your friend "1v1 me fukin scrub" and fight)
-Different huds will have different capabilities (not just how it looks, i.e. dedicated dog-fighters may be able to track multiple targets at once, whereas a base ship may only track one)
-They're trying out a couple of things to prevent GoldFarmers/bots, he can't confirm that they'll definitely help stop the farmers, but "we're aware and we've got quite some people who've worked on mmos"
-Third person mode, in both flying your ship and on foot, is allowed on both but to prevent people gaining an advantage like that they're keeping the hud exclusively in 1st person.
-They're looking at some other VR headmounted displays, aside from the Oculus, and will probably support them "if it's cool"
-You'll basically be able to choose your starting planet in the Persistent Universe from a number of choices, so everyone wont be spawning out of the same place.
-Not all the ships will have Variants, just the popular ones in the same way popular cars have different varients, like bmw
-They're planning to have it so when you're playing in the universe, the world will load in objects in and out all the time as you move, so you hopefully won't see loading screens much.
-On the role of "hacking", capital ships will have "electronic warfare rooms". They're actively looking at including that in info running in the Drake Herald and such, along with more bruteforce stuff such as EMP
-Rational of ingame speedlimit... frak me i really cant summarize this black magic wizardry this guys talking about, here the direct youtube link to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSWDk8K ... page#t=976
(basically, screw your realism buddy, it's a funner game this way)
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

The speed concerns are pretty straight forward. There's always going to be some uncertainty in the physics model and bigger numbers mean a larger absolute errors which means a weird/unreal resulting simulation. You can see this in effect if you play KSP and set the time warp to max. It doesn't help that they were apparently working with a single precision (32bit) physics model so precision was a big concern. He says they are switching to double precision which should have a noticeable effect on the larger simulations and probably should have been used to begin with.

Also having your ships pass each other in the blink of an eye not and suddenly being out of engagement range just as quickly isn't fun.
there's no FTL in the universe
The fact someone seemed concerned about FTL communication when FTL travel is already in game seems a little silly to me. lol

P.S.- I've been watching some Elite Dangerous game play since it's entered beta and have been trying to decide whether or not to buy into their lifetime expansions deal since it will expire at the end of July. I really like how they handle interstellar/interplanetary travel. Virtually no loading screens with very light transitions into instances. I hope Star Citizen manages to do something similar. I'm really impressed with what the Elite team has managed in such short time and much smaller budget. I hope/wish/expect CIG to meet and exceed that.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

zorplex wrote: P.S.- I've been watching some Elite Dangerous game play since it's entered beta and have been trying to decide whether or not to buy into their lifetime expansions deal since it will expire at the end of July. I really like how they handle interstellar/interplanetary travel. Virtually no loading screens with very light transitions into instances. I hope Star Citizen manages to do something similar. I'm really impressed with what the Elite team has managed in such short time and much smaller budget. I hope/wish/expect CIG to meet and exceed that.
elite can pull that off though because the whole universe is procedurally generated and done in a 32 bit architecture, so technically it would never be as advanced as SC could be. I do hope that SC has light instance transitions and low/no loading screens.

also, E:D has actually been in development longer than SC has, they just didn't garner the same response that SC did because the elite games are older than anything CR did and were never as popular as the wing commander series. They definitely have put together a good product though. I'm fairly certain the only reason I haven't gotten into E:D is because I've already invested so much into SC.

anyways, new TFTC that between work running late and being in the midst of bitching at my landlord and getting my new apartment and moving arrangements settled I still have no time to watch. Hoping I'll be able to get back into the swing of things here after I'm done moving in August.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

matsif wrote: anyways, new TFTC that between work running late and being in the midst of bitching at my landlord and getting my new apartment and moving arrangements settled I still have no time to watch.
I got this, kinda.
  • * Shows off a Constilation model figurine at 1:30, pretty cool, do want
    * When you land on planets, there'll be repair crew that you can see doing immersive repair stuff like going at your ship with a blowtorch. (not planned for personal hangars)
    * Orginizations will have impact on certain events and projects, but they're not planning for "The Synthworld Project" to be impacted by players. (i have no freakin idea what synthworld is, it was just asked about in the question, matsif care to chime in?)
    * When you're docked to another ship, the ships wont be able to perform typical space flight or maneuvers. The question specifically asked if non-warp drive ships could dock to something like a connie with a warpdrive and warp with it, but Chris has confirmed that won't be happening.
    * Custom keybinds will be saved to profiles, so you can make several profiles for separate ships of your or different controllers.
    * Multi-crewed ships gunned by NPC's is low on the development list of the DFM, so we may not see it inside Arena commander before the full Persistent Universe release.
    * "Short range fighters" cannot leave the system they're launched from, and depend on being docked inside carrier ships to warp out of different systems (idk whats defined as a short ranged fighter, he only said "things like the merlan", so maybe the aurora falls under that )
    * On the ship building process, no news on any ship that we dont know of being close to completion for viewing in the hangar (or atleast he's not spoiling it for us, cause he starts talking about the ship building process instead of directly answering the question)
    * On the kinds of applications or interfaces they're gonna have for people to manage Orgs, they're gonna have a lot of things not just on the Website, but also mobile/tablet apps to manage stuff.
    * On what kind of landing zones will be available. There'll be things like city and space station landing areas, ancient ruin sites, occasionally out in space on derelict wrecks or ancient alien ships. Longer term, they want people to be able to go down and explore and descover stuff, without any hard limitation to landing environment.
    * On characters reaction/resistance to G-forces over time, they're not going for people having "Stats" and stuff to raise, but they will have suits and spaceframes that effect you
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

New TFTC, rather than me watch this black magic mumbo-jumbo and scribble answers, I outsourced the job to India, they telegrammed me the following:

**Capture vanduul for later cage-match death-fights?**

-Nope. Maybe later. Also, "PLAY DAY-Z NOOB".

**Economy module?**

-Economy module is planned, not playable to players.

**I DON'T WANNA LEAVE!! (UEE Service)**

-You get kicked out soldier! Some persistent universe military contracts planned for after service.

**Are shields solid?**

-Shields stop energy, allow ballistic weps through at lower energy. Can fly through big ships shields.

**NPC kids?**

-No kids planned.

**Ship for rent?**

-Can hire other players to fly your ship for a mission. No plan to "rent" ship, yet.

**PUSH THE BUTTON!**

-Will have to hit specific switches and buttons for commands like hud and engines.

**Sound through space, ME NO LIKEY!**

-Yes, it's called a mute button. Also considered a "no sound in space" setting.

**Nip/Tuck?**

-Can change physical identity to heal scars or fool popo.

**Beta it's own module, or finished/near-finished product?**

-CR definition of alpha is functional. Beta is content and functional. AC current is pre-alpha. AC 1.0 is alpha. Long winded answer. Short of breath. Need a beer.

(jk, some dude on reddit made this, all credit goes to him http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/com ... 51/cjagc1p )
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Some dude on reddit created a 60fps gfycat html5 vid of the new M50, and it is glorious.
(You might have to resize it if you have a smaller monitor)
http://www.gfycat.com/GloomyIcyCapeghostfrog
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

on the house on origin...
wing commander! heart of the kitten!
phpBB [video]
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I grabbed that on Origin just now.

Also, here's a 4 second sneak peak of a mining station thingy in Star Citizen
http://www.gfycat.com/ShadySandyBeaver
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I think i missed it...
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

they uploaded stuff on their YT.

The stream quality was fraked up (tearing, shaky), something technical wrong, i guess. I turned off rather quickly.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I ended up purchasing the 10 inch model of the Constellation.

Surprisingly, there are still 1000 left!
Image[/url]
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

why hasnt anyone mentioned the constellation variants yet!?! I dont know which one i like most