[Star Citizen] - Spaceships in space est. 2012.

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Star Citizen] - Arena Commander and Hangar Patch Releas

Post by CekiHappy »

New ship thing/concept sale. Passenger ship or whatever, if you're into that.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Starliner
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

For anyone who feels like Star Citizens Development is taking too long, here's a small chart to shed some perspective on you's guys.
Spoiler: show
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

No offense but to me it seems like vaporware at the moment. I have no idea what will become of it.

I have to say that the cult like mentality surrounding the game and Chris Roberts reminds me a lot of Apple enthusiasts and Steve Jobs. It's evidently a social phenomenon, which can be really astounding at times, although I honestly don't get it.

I found a couple of interesting articles about SC, and the one from WIRED ends with a quote from CR:

"Star Citizen isn't a sprint, it isn't even a marathon. There is no final finish line the way you would have with a traditional retail game. Star Citizen is a way of life for as long as the community is engaged by it."

Seriously?!

No intention of flaming just a somewhat different perspective:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorial/s ... ar-citizen
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropp ... uilt-game/
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Eh, that quote does really sound like something I could imagine a cultist would say, but with all the things Chris has talked of the game it seems like something he pulled out of his ass randomly.

When you say it's vaporware, what do you mean? At a minimum, a significant part of the game (the dogfighting) has been nailed and it's even been released as an Alpha to backers to try out for themselves. If they really were trying to sell vaporware, spending millions of your conned money to actually make a functional game seems counter-productive.

If that's not enough, they update development status and answer questions in video's pretty much every week on their youtube, check this out https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/videos
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Basically RazY70 they are actually working on the game, there is a timeline and a plan to stick to. There are set goals and deadlines for the project and so far they've hit pretty much what they said they would do if only a few months later than the deadlines.

Vapourware? Nahh son I can actually play part of the game right now so don't know what you're on about. u fink its funy or wat m8? jus luk at fecckin destiny or some ova shite like that an u see just how much vapourware is on it yeah? i bet u six quid its gon be out like ages after star citisen comesd out man, swear down yeah/ take ur atitude somwere else bruv its gettin on me nerves now., one more fing aswell those fings wot u posted are like writ by some1 who obvs got the bad end of the roast at his uncles house wen he was a kid m8, he probs neva had lads wot got his back ye? just some angry tossa sat on his backsyde yellin at birds wot land on his windosill
the end is really fµcking nigh
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

By vaporware I don't mean that there's no product. I mean something which might not actually materialize into a finished product due to whatever reason. And by finished product I mean something which resembles the advertised concept.

I realize they're working on the game just as they were working on Paradox East vs. West which eventually got cancelled, or Duke Nukem Forever which unfortunately didn't, or plenty of other games which never happened. crap happens in the software industry.

I also know about Around the Verse and the progress they've made so far. But that's not my concern. The constant scope creep really seems to be out of control, and IIRC they brought someone in to get them back on track and organize things. Remember the initial estimates were release by 2014? I do hope they'll release something at 2016 although I'm not entirely sure what that something will end up to be.
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Anyone been following this dank ass game and want to try it out? Now's your chance, with the QuakeCon 2015 event CiG is hosting a free flight week (ends at the 31'st). Here's the instructions:
1. Click this dank ass text
2. Use the code QCFREEFLIGHT2K15 on the site
3. Download like 20gb's of game, then 20gb's or so of patches.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

CekiHappy wrote:Anyone been following this dank ass game and want to try it out? Now's your chance, with the QuakeCon 2015 event CiG is hosting a free flight week (ends at the 31'st). Here's the instructions:
1. Click this dank ass text
2. Use the code QCFREEFLIGHT2K15 on the site
3. Download like 20gb's of game, then 20gb's or so of patches.
IMO open up a new thread for this? People might not even click if they see it's an SC thread idk.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I backed this before their original 2 million dollar goal. And since then, I haven't even bothered to look up information or read about it. I backed around $250 and another $150 in the Constellation model.

Basically, I saw my money as a way to get help out the trend of kickstarting games that would never see the day of light if not for crowdfunding. So far, I can say that the money I've invested has helped out. Now we see games like Shenmue 3 (which I've been waiting for since 2001) are now being crowdfunded and actually being made.

What I'm trying to say is, everyone on both sides need to just chill until this all happens. Whether it gets made into what was promised, or it fails, it was fun seeing the development of what is probably the most ambitious gaming project I've ever seen. In any case, both extreme sides are doing themselves no favor. Sit back, let the devs do their thing. If it turns out to be great, we all win! If it sucks, well, at least we can put this to rest.
Image[/url]
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

THE GAMESCOM DEMO WAS AWEEEEEEEEEEEESOME. They showed off a huge planetside area, mutlicrew combat against another multicrew ship, hyper drive, and more. Here is the Multicrew demo first (cause its cool as fuuuuuck)
phpBB [video]

And then if you wanna watch the whole 2 hour show https://youtu.be/2AJswADTV0A?t=1024
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... The-Taking

does anyone fancy joining me in trying to beat the vanduul swarm to get one of these babies?
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

Tea-Assault wrote:https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... The-Taking

does anyone fancy joining me in trying to beat the vanduul swarm to get one of these babies?

"These ships are limited to a production run of only 1000 and will only be made available for purchase ($350USD) to those who have earned it by defeating the newly improved Vanduul Swarm."

I mean I'll join you to try out the new swarm but it's only 1000 ^^
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Yeah, but noone has got there yet, I only just reached round 15 on my first try
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

So now that a little while has passed since the presentation, funding's hit 86 million, INN created a cool graph of the spike in funding. Image
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Another chart, just for fun Image