[Titanfall] Looks interesting... E3 Demo Vid

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

[Titanfall] Looks interesting... E3 Demo Vid

Post by InsanityRocks »

phpBB [video]

Thoughts? Impressions? Predictions?

From a visual perspective it looks really nice. I hear it's from the same group that made COD and/or Halo. I like the various elevations and varying degrees of light and shadow. The world, however faraway on another planet, seems realistic.

I didn't really see any bullet drop or recoil, unless the player has recoil control.

I dig the robot-warfare; did you see the spot where the enemy was stepped on? Being an old Battletech fan (and occasional MechWarrior online player) those 'Mechs see nimble and maneuverable. I didn't see any indication of overheating; I wonder where the ammo is stored and if it's exploitable/explodable.

I wonder if the game play will foster team-play or if it will be another COD-style of run-and-gun.

I'm going to keep my eye on this game.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Titanfall] Looks interesting... E3 Demo Vid

Post by zorplex »

This game is made by Respawn Entertainment which consists of the original Infinity Ward dev team (including the two founders/heads), They created (among others) Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare along with the engines used in both. While the latter has been rehashed to the point of becoming uninspired, they were both incredible games for their time and very influential in the FPS genre. The team left Infinity Ward after Activision bought the company and didn't pay them royalties for Modern Warfare 2. Now they've created a smaller, privately owned studio and hopefully that gives them the freedom to be more experimental.

I am definitely looking forward to the title. It uses the Source engine, so the graphical fidelity will probably be on par with last gen titles and the art direction already looks a little generic, but the gameplay looks really fun. The freedom the infantry have to wall jump and use jump jets looks to be incredibly liberating. The mech play reminds me of Mech Assault which was a really fun arcade game; I don't expect anything close to simulation like in Mechwarrior. My only real concern is balancing mechs and infantry. It would be very easy for hard core gamers to find some vulnerability to exploit as either which negates the effectiveness of the other. Think one shot kills from mechs or instant disables from infantry, something of that sort.

Barring some balancing issues, I think this game will be great. I may not buy it at launch depending on its release date and reviews, but I will definitely pick it up at some point.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Titanfall] Looks interesting... E3 Demo Vid

Post by Fields »

I'm still kind of amazed this is being built on source. :O