[Rust] The Horde Sleeps

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] SERVER WIPE 6/4 [Everyone join on 6/6 @SBT!]

Post by haruky »

Well. I'm really upset.

Everything's gone. Literally. All the progress we made disappeared overnight while we were offline.

Our giant floor base, our rock base, it's all gone. They destroyed the sleeping bags so I can't even go back and see the damage that was done. Unfortunately, I didn't put a sleeping bag at our cave base (which I really should've done).

If anyone's able to get back to our bases, please provide an update. I'm really upset and probably won't be getting on today.

We spent nearly 5 hours on the new floorbase too. I'm just hoping that the cupboard wasn't taken over at the very least.

In any case, a big thank you to Gonzo who stayed up till 6am to help me build this one out. I hope there's at least ONE sleeping bag somewhere so that they can help us spawn back in that area..

EDIT - keffah cat and his buddy helped me get back to the base by letting me spawn in his base. They had been raided too.

I checked out what happened. They got to our cupboard. And they decided to grief us. They sealed off the doors by using stone walls so we can't use the big base that we made. Sigh.

From the looks of it, they destroyed our cupboard proxies. That allowed them to build an elevator sky bridge to the top of our base. They managed to get in and blew up the doors and got the cupboard.

Then they threw up stone walls to make sure we wouldn't be able to use the base anymore. We could just pick axe the walls down but that'll take a long time.

Our cave base is fine. Doesn't seem like it was raided but I also didn't bother to go inside. So who knows.

The rock base was raided in similar fashion. They blew in from the top.

They stole EVERYTHING out of the crates. Luckily, they didn't go to the bottom floor so it looks like some of our bags are still there.

I'm 99% sure it was the guys on the hill.

I'm gonna make it my goal to raid those bastards before the next wipe..
Last edited by haruky on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/url]
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] Raided.

Post by haruky »

Some additional thoughts.

We thought that the buff to walls would be helpful in defense. It's not. I think I'm finally ready to accept that there are going to be high-school kids on vacation and/or others that don't have much going on that will play all day and all night. These people will have the ability to make 20 C4 without any issues. They're also the kind of people who have enough determination to stay up until 3am, wait for everyone to sleep, then break in. Easy, peasy.

So how do we deal with this? After some thought, I think it might be better to revert to what we were originally planning.

We build a small compound area where everyone has their very own 1x1. Why this?

This spreads the loot, requires less effort to build, and most importantly, if they blow it down with C4, all the loot goes down with it due to the splash damage.

With that said, we create a communal 3x3 which we can put all our furnaces, and other loot temporarily. Then, when it's the end of the day or when you're ready to sign off, everyone should take some of the loot and put it into their armored 1x1. That armored 1x1 is yours to build. Use what's in the community chest, but please make sure to contribute back into the chest once you use it up.

In the end, the best method of playing this game right now is to be offensive. So we'll use our resources for things like guns and c4, not bases. Our numerous 1x1s should suffice for keeping what we need over night. Especially since it'll be spread out quite a bit.

And also, the small 3x3 can also be built up to be like an armored watch tower, but we shouldn't keep any loot in there overnight.

What do you guys think of this? Think it could work? Should we give it a try? It might suck not being able to build a big base, but at this point, it might be our best shot of having fun with the game
Image[/url]
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: [Rust] Raided.

Post by Ash2Dust »

Will try to play. Just got back from Washington after a 5 day trip, so I may be blowing air.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] Our Cave Base Bunker

Post by haruky »

@Ash, we'd love to have you!

----------------------------------

All I have to say is that the progress we made last night was phenomenal.

For a tl;dr, please see this album: http://imgur.com/a/dZP0l

PRIMARY TASKS:

* Please destroy the cupboard boxes we created in a field around us. Unfortunately, due to the way cupboards work, some of those may be "master" cupboards which in that case, if people get access to it, they have access to the whole area. Gonzo and I learned about how cupboards work and think that it can be pretty dangerous. I think we should get rid of the all the cupboards in our area and start fresh now that we know the mechanics. Can people start pick-axing those stone 1x1s down and destroy the cupboards inside?

* We need to start securing our reclaimed floor base. Please get access to the cupboard on the second floor and feel free to begin upgrading the base when you get online. This base will mostly be used as a decoy. It looks like a juicy target so it will help people waste their C4 before they consider it on our other two bases. We won't really keep much in there. Just some general supplies like a few bullets and food and such. Please feel free to start building it up if you'd like though.

For the past two days, our crew was out gathering resources and anything else that we needed. We had guns, ammo, sulfur, c4, metal ores, and more. We had a TON of things. And now that we had all this, we were worried about how we were going to keep it all safe. How was this going to be possible? Our main base (rock base) wasn't that secure, our floor base was raided and griefed, and our cave base, wasn't really built up to hold and hide gear yet.

At this point in the day of this realization, it was just me and Gonzo online. It was getting late and it was time for us to sleep soon. But we had to do this. We had to make it so that our stuff would be safe overnight. So Gonzo and I got to work. We went to the cave base to see what we could do. We liked the prospect of having the base since it was so non-descript and looks like it doesn't hold much in it.

And when we got to thinking, we began to see just how much stuff we could hide in here. So then, the work began.

We deci'ded to create a labrynth of doors, a few 1x1 vaults, and a roof vault. The result? Well, just see the album in the OP.

All code locks in this area are different. No one has access to the cupboards but me and Gonzo. We decided to cover them up behind armored walls so that if we DID get raided, they'd at least be safe.

The best part about this base is that the rock formations force any raiders to use a very linear path in. There's not much freedom in blowing through the walls in this base so they have to go through set paths that we make for them.

I think we can start using this cave base (Bunker as we shall call it) for our loot and other gear. We can still separate out the goods between the three bases, but for now, any important things should go in here.

I hope you guys enjoy the base and the story. Another HUGE shout-out to Gonzo for sticking around past ungodly hours to help make this base. Thank you so very much. Another HUGE shout out to Seraphim and Hashey as well. Without them, we probably wouldn't have had the resources for this base.
Image[/url]
CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

Re: [Rust] The Bunker.

Post by CountBelasarius »

Huge props to Gonzo and Haruky - and to everyone else who contributed enormously (Seraphim, Hashey and so on)! :thumbup:

Its taken some time but I think we're really adapting to the new realities of Rust.

Prior to this patch, balance was off. Then when the patch hit, we went back to playing as if it was legacy rust. Unfortunately it isn't and we lost some stuff.

I think now four things have changed:

:arrow: I think we now have a better understanding of how to disperse our material, and ensure the security of small but very dense loot rooms that will preserve our most important resources.

:arrow: Now we better utilize our material, rather than hoarding for master projects, we now spend regularly on incremental improvement and armoring of key points, research and trade.

:arrow: Allies in the area are dispersing the risk and their bases look juicier and are easier to raid than our's

:arrow: We are now more actively practicing deception with the main ground base coming back online as a decoy

This puts us in a good place and should mean that those of you that can join us on weekends can hopefully start from a more substantial place!

Again, huge thanks to all who put time and effort into rebuilding.
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]
BF4:C1 [☭] Komandir
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] The Rust Awakens.

Post by haruky »

It has been a long long while my friends. I've been somewhat keeping track of Rust and it seems a lot has changed. Blueprint system is different, auto turrets for offline base defense, quarries, high quality metal, and more.

Is it time to get back into it, GC Rusties?

WHO'S IN?
Image[/url]
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

*raises hand*
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

I'm willing to give it another shot, sure!

That said, from what I've seen, the meta changed in a way that makes it almost impossible for single players and even smaller groups to thrive and get beyond the bare survival stage (e.g. any usable gun needing high quality metal, which is a bitch to get in large enough amounts if you don't have an army of miners). We should make sure to pick a server without large clans if we want to do more than build one day and then rebuild the next because of constant raids.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

LoRdG0nZo wrote:I'm willing to give it another shot, sure!

That said, from what I've seen, the meta changed in a way that makes it almost impossible for single players and even smaller groups to thrive and get beyond the bare survival stage (e.g. any usable gun needing high quality metal, which is a bitch to get in large enough amounts if you don't have an army of miners). We should make sure to pick a server without large clans if we want to do more than build one day and then rebuild the next because of constant raids.
Agreed. I did quite like our old server though. Good admins and a bit of a narrative. I'll do some server scouting this weekend. Anyone want to join me sometime?
Hashey wrote:*raises hand*
Good.. GOOOOD. THE A TEAM IS COMING BACK. Who else is in!?
Image[/url]
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

I'm joining as soon as steam sorts its crap out
the end is really fµcking nigh
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I won't be available for most of the day tomorrow, but I should have some time on Sunday. If people want to get started on server hunting and what not, by all means, go for it.

I think the criteria should be to find a server that is pretty active but doesn't have CRAZY huge groups warring it out all the time. Yeah, that sounds impossible to do, but it's worth a shot. Maybe a server with like 80-100 people? Just some thoughts.
Image[/url]
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Well. This sucks. But the spirit of Rust is back.

Tea Assault, myself, and Chemical stole a base last night. We managed to build it up quite a bit and find some cool loot. And here is our story.

We roamed around till we found each other and eventually broke into the windows of a base and stole it for ourselves. We spent the next few hours building it up and trying to make it a bit more fortified. We gathered resources and had some fun.

A few hours into the night, after Chem and Fields left, a couple of guys showed up and murdered Tea Assault. We were a bit scared and we ended up playing a waiting game with them for like 2 hours. They would not leave. Eventually, we came up with a plan to trap them within our airlocks. So, we discussed how we'd do it, and tried to execute. Before all this, I went out there to check if they were still camping us out or not. They were. I left the house and immediately heard gunshots. I got killed. Then we tried to execute the plan anddddd. They left. They just wanted to kill one of us.

Anyway, after all that, I decided to call it a night. We had found some good loot and thought it'd be a good place to stop for the night.

Well, it wasn't apparently. Cus this morning, I log in and I have been killed and spawned outside somewhere random.

Boys, it's back.
Image[/url]
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] Base Design.

Post by haruky »

I love our base design so far. But it desperately needs to be more of a raid deterrence. As of now, raiders need only a few C4 to get into our loot rooms. We need this to change.

We have nearly 5 stories that we could start to use and put loot on. We must utilize all the space we can. We have a TON of resources and it'd be a shame if we lost it all.

Here's what I recommend. I like the number system that we're using for the loot. I'd like to see it used more.

Perhaps a simple system? To determine what room has what? But complex enough to make it confusing to raiders?

My idea is as follows:
ODD numbers in 1-10 to indicate WEAPONS.
EVEN numbers in 1=10 to indicate basic resources (wood, stone, metal ore, sulfur ore)

ODD numbers in 11-20 to indicate higher resources (Crude oil, high quality metal, metal frags, sulfur)
EVEN numbers in 11-20 to indicate resources created for particular items (Gunpowder, Explosives)

Numbers 21-30 to indicate misc goods (Furnaces, mining quarries, etc)

I also think we should utilize all the floors. We should start making sure that the loot isn't all in one large crate. I mean, we have nearly 500 high quality metal in ONE large crate!!! I think we should make a limit so that we spread 'em out and make it a PITA for people raiding us. maybe a max of 50 high quality metal per room. It'll be a PITA for us, but honestly, we won't be using the high quality metal that often so that it won't be too bad... Right??

We made a huge honeycomb base that we're not taking advantage of. Let's change that!!!

I'll try to be online at 5am in the morning, which is fairly late for the EU folks. Let's hope we don't get raided by then!!!

And if anyone sees my post in the next few hours, please just log on and make sure we're not getting raided... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image[/url]
cairdazar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cairdazar »

I started to reorganize our loot a bit, 1st floor 6 is now only stone related stuff, wood is moved to 1st floor 5.
Food moved to 1st floor 4 to make room fore more clothing/armor.
Moved the odd building parts to 2nd floor 1 together with low level weapons and extra blueprints (code same as the other ones).
I also made a new bedroom on the 2nd floor so we can use the 2 current rooms on the 1st floor for storage.

On my way back from a blueprint run I saw 2 dudes checking out our base, don't approach them with a full inventory of goodies ;) We probably want to build some walls around the quarry so we can leave it running.

I can now make the shotgun and rockets, anyone have the rocket launcher?

On my way from my second blueprint run I got a bit of track hunting pigs and literary fell down on a sleeping dude, somehow we now have a small base in the mountain just north of the power plant :twisted:
Last edited by cairdazar on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

oooo boy, looking forward to joining up with you guys when i get back from vacation. SOunds like you guys found a server but didnt Disco used to have one rented? not sure if he still does