Forced Push to Talk

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Re: Forced Push to Talk

Post by mrBLUE9 »

As far as I know there's no way to tell if you are using PTT or Voice Activation. There's tons of people here in GC that use Voice Activation, how do I know? Random noises throughout a round. :lol: Just exercice caution when using VA, you gotta know that anything loud you do will leak to the mic! I personally use PTT because my chair is loud and sometimes I talk to other people.
DaFi

Post by DaFi »

mrBLUE9 wrote:As far as I know there's no way to tell if you are using PTT or Voice Activation. There's tons of people here in GC that use Voice Activation, how do I know? Random noises throughout a round. :lol: Just exercice caution when using VA, you gotta know that anything loud you do will leak to the mic! I personally use PTT because my chair is loud and sometimes I talk to other people.
I guess yesterday night everyone was using PTT and there were still background noises, crunching bags of chips(?) and stuff..
Nothing awful, just the regular stuff when a lot of people are in one channel. So as said before, its not the VA that causes the problem, its the person using it.
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I typically use push-to-talk, but it's nice to have the option of voice activated when I've got my hands off the keyboard/mouse. (Playing pokemonzz on ds or sonic racing with a controller)
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

lol a three page thread on PTT in one day. :lol:

I had no idea this was such a hot button issue.

I'll say two things about this.

1) If you ever want to be in a leadership position at GC you have to get used to using PTT as it is required for talking over channel commander, talking to HC, TAs, opposite HC, everyone at once, etc. I have like 8 PTT buttons 8O ...and a post it note stuck to my screen so I remember which is which. :lol:

2) Changing this for battledays will probably up to the generals/HCs for C5. The TAs are not responsible for policing the armys' TS channels and kicking people who are being annoying so it will be up to the HCs if they want to have their officers do that or keep PTT enabled.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
FlaminWalrus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by FlaminWalrus »

Shrapnel wrote: I have like 8 PTT buttons 8O ...and a post it note stuck to my screen so I remember which is which. :lol:
OMG 8O
DaFi

Post by DaFi »

Its not about not wanting to use any keys, but about the prohibition to use the VA. I have keys to mute/unmute my mic or my sound. Keys to activate, deactivate and use CC. Keys to change the general TS volume. I'm not in the position where I need to talk to the enemy HC or the TAs, but I could fit that in somewhere too.
But when I want to talk in the channel I am in, with my squad I am fighting with, I don't want to press a key to do so. Not only does it limit my mobility ingame, but it also feels like using a phone to talk to someone whos right next to me..
And even though 8 PTT Keys are impressive, I don't think those are beeing used during combat like the communication inside the squad should be (especially when you have to look at a sticky note first?!).

I don't know how this Forced Push to Talk is being set. Server wide, Channel wide .. ?! SO maybe Forced PTT could be only set in the Bar or where everyone is hanging out and being annyoed? And not everywhere. Also if there are going to be different settings for both Armies in C5, I would like to be in the Army that allows VA!
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Shrapnel wrote:lol a three page thread on PTT in one day. :lol:

I had no idea this was such a hot button issue.
It's a hot issue since PTT was made mandatory yesterday. I didn't see any notification not to mention a discussion about it.

I only learned about this accidentally during a game when I was asked if there was something wrong with my mic. Problem compounded when, after struggling to find a somewhat usable key bind, I mistakenly bound the wrong one only to realize post fact that I was talking to myself during the entire game - NOT FUN!

DaFi's idea and yours make sense, if possible create a separate "PTT Only" channel for those who can't stand the occasional spontaneous sound. Battledays TS setup would be at the General's discretion.
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

Shrapnel wrote: 1) If you ever want to be in a leadership position at GC you have to get used to using PTT as it is required for talking over channel commander, talking to HC, TAs, opposite HC, everyone at once, etc. I have like 8 PTT buttons 8O ...and a post it note stuck to my screen so I remember which is which. :lol:.
This is the whole issue for me though, I have so many god damn buttons for talking to people, as well as flying, that there isnt a single button left for PTT. only viable buttons are on my mouse, but my sensitivity is so high I cant push a side button without flipping my chopper :(
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Shrapnel wrote:I had no idea this was such a hot button issue.
Shrapnel wrote:a hot button issue.
Shrapnel wrote:button
That's hilarious.

In all seriousness though, i think there's absolutely no point in disabling voice activation. First of all, there are similar annoiances that occur with push-to-talk, when the key is used in other applications. Disabling VA just hinders people in their ability to enjoy GC and the game. Some pilots need VA and many people are used to it and use it in a perfectly acceptable manner. And in general I think that GC is the kind of community in which, if someone is making unwanted noise with his VA, you can ask him, and he'll tweak his settings or mute himself while he's doing what he's doing.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Wow I didn't know so many people are not abiding the rules written in this guide here: http://global-conflict.org/HowtosetupGCTS3.php :P

I think that's why it was set to PTT yesterday. It will get reverted back to what it was before but like Shrap said PTT is something you will have to get used to sooner or later.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

This sounds like the perfect issue for our new supporting members to vote on. Simple, to the point, clearly the community has a lot of passion on the subject so we'll get a good vote.
ImageImageImage
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

StarfisherEcho wrote:This sounds like the perfect issue for our new supporting members to vote on. Simple, to the point, clearly the community has a lot of passion on the subject so we'll get a good vote.
Thats what I was initially thinking as well but there hasn't been nearly as many VA violations as there are users who use VA. VA will get re-enabled.
CanShield

Post by CanShield »

I detest voice activated in teamspeak, for most who utilize it do not have any concern about the constant feed. I have ask on more then one occasion, an individual to go to push to talk if they are going to be eating, or have a load anything in the background. The unanimous reply is mute me then. To all those claiming they behave with courtesy are the very individuals who behave improperly. I do not want to listen to anthers breathing, or eating over open microphone.

With it looking like the setting, for voice activated to be reinstated I will just stat muting individuals without push to talk.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I've never seen anyone react that way in GC, ever. I've had a couple guys accidentally talk to the side or whatever and they have universally apologized and muted themselves when asked.

Except for Gwynzer's and his music bot, which I think is what caused all this in the first place :p
ImageImageImage
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

If people didn't keep moving PenisBot into other channels with the sole purpose of annoying people with it, it wouldn't be so much of an issue. . .